The Croque Monsieur is a signature dish across our Brasserie Bread Cafes. With French origins, the Croque Monsieur translates to Mister Crunch. Oozing with Gruyère cheese and laced with a punch of zingy Dijon mustard, the Brasserie Bread rendition of the crusty Croque Monsieur also squeezes in a layer of fresh and peppery wild rocket between the two slices of organic sourdough. If you order it at any of our cafes, make sure you have it toasted! Bon appetit!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- 50g finely grated well aged Gruyère cheese
- 75g sour cream
- 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 4 slices Brasserie Bread Batard*
- 100g sliced leg ham from the bone
- 1 cup wild rocket
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- Place cheese, sour cream, mustard and chives in a bowl and beat with a spoon until combined. Spread over one side of each of the 4 bread slices. Top 2 of the slices with ham and rocket. Place remaining bread slices on top, spread side facing down. Spread with butter.
- Place in a sandwich press and cook until golden brown and filling is hot. Allow to rest for 1 minute, then cut in half and serve.
*Croque Monsieur can be made with any of our sourdough breads including our Baker’s Round or Country. In the café we often use a slice of our award-winning Country Loaf and cut it in half.
To make a Croque Madame, simply top with a fried egg cooked sunny side up.
“ ‘Croque’ is French for ‘crunch’, so we call the Croque monsieur a ‘Mr Crunchy’. My kids love the crispy outside and the filling of warm ham oozing with cheese sauce. It’s our family favourite.”
– BB customer