Want to make French Toast with a twist? Look no further! Try replacing plain bread with slices of organic sourdough for an extra oomph factor. You can of course experiment with different fruits to accompany the beautiful French Toast. Whether you prepare smashed berries or perhaps some caramelised bananas with maple syrup to go with it, this is the perfect treat for a weekend breakfast!
Follow the steps below and enjoy!
Preparation time: 10 minutes (plus soaking time)
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 3 slices sourdough bread, cut 2cm thick
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 350g fresh berries
- 2 tablespoons pure icing sugar, sifted
- 50g unsalted butter
- vanilla yoghurt or whipped cream, to serve
1. Place bread in a single layer in a shallow dish (the bread should fit snugly in the dish).
2. Place eggs, milk, orange rind, vanilla, caster sugar and salt in a bowl and whisk to combine. Pour over bread. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, preferably overnight. Turn occasionally.
3. Lightly crush berries. Combine with icing sugar and set aside.
4. Heat butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat until just starting to brown. Add bread and reduce temperature to low. Cook for about 10 minutes each side or until golden brown.
5. Serve immediately with smashed berries and yoghurt or cream.